Wednesday 1 April 2009

Typography Evaluation

Within typography I feel that I have learnt a considerable amount my knowledge and confidence with typography has strengthened hugely. I have an understanding of simple typographic skills such as how legible typography can be read to how we can force people to read across a line down a line or even up a line. I have also learnt about graphic design process through to the printing processes.
I feel that


Before beginning my typographic module I had a basic understanding of typography however I wasn’t clear of the terminology and some more advanced understanding. This module has benefited me, learning new skills such as prioritising typography which is a simple skill but when I combined with my design work I was constantly using new skills. Within my design work during the week I ensure that my type was being read correctly in the order that I wanted making sure that the colours worked with the typographic font, what was standing out and what personality my design was and the effect is was having on my audience. I began to understand that typography says so much about a design and is a high priority when creating designs.

The Typography Journal has been appealing and beneficial through lessons I have used my skills that I have learnt and researched into other interesting designs which has been motivating. Looking at how other people approach resolve problems such as small ads or business cards. I also found looking at colleagues in the groups work high beneficial & effective.
I have found interesting typographic work that is standard and experimental the range has been intriguing looking into different areas as well as some history of typography.
This practise is something that I will never forget as it will be a skill that I will always put into practise as my understanding and interest in typography grows.

My weakness overall I would say is my understanding of some of the more advance typographic terms. As this is an area that needs some more study perhaps through using my typographic journal and constantly using the language.
I also struggled with the packaging lesson and so this is an area for obvious improvement with future briefs. I may use this skill and develop this to test and develop my ability create packaging

To strengthen my Typographic Skills I will:

Carry on my typographic journal to investigate into more typographers and how typography is wrongly and correctly used in industry.

Constantly use my knowledge and new skills with my design work to develop my skills and create strong outcomes to their full potential.

No comments: