Monday 5 January 2009

http://anotherwomanstreasure.blogspot.com

* A not-too-badly broken bench, that my friend Cathy helped me carry back to my Hoboken apartment from a nearby sidewalk. I repaired and painted it and used it for years, then I put it in the barn in NH, where my brother found it, took it home and used it on his sunporch for years. Then he put it back in the barn, where we refound it, painted it a new color and are now using it as porch furniture in Nottingham. How's that for getting a lot of use out of a broken thing someone else threw away???
* A set of four heavy, nicely made maple captain's chairs, which I took to NH, where they got a coat of oil based paint and are now terrific porch chairs - found in the trash in Clinton, NY.
* A chrome cup holder found in the Swap Shop at the Nottingham, NH dump, oops, I mean 'recycling center'.
* A matching pair of glass (!) candlestick lamps I pulled out of the metal dumpster at the Nottingham dump years ago.
* A very nice wood-framed mirror that had been painted but with minimum effort I refinished - found in a trash pile in front of a house in Clinton, NY.
* A chrome towel rack in a rubbish pile in front of a house on Williams Street in Clinton, NY.
* A set of 12 (12!) ironstone cups and saucers with gold trim, in the Nottingham, NH recycling center glass pile
* A pair of small vintage floral curtains that I sold on Ebay for $40 - found in the trash in an alley in Oxford, Ohio.
* A small antique Sarouk Persian rug, appraised to be worth $400 - found by my father in the trash in a rich Newton, Mass neighborhood.
* A pair of brand new, never been worn Birkenstok clogs - in my size! - found in the Nottingham, NH landfill back in the good ol' days when Nottingham still had an actual landfill you could scrounge around in - sigh...

No comments: