Monday 5 January 2009

Research what people throw away

Hi All,

Yesterday evening i was walking towards my car when something lying on the floor next to the garbage room caught my attention.
It was an AKAI AA-6600 solid state amp (mfd. 1971) that looked in excellent condition. It immediately found it's way to the trunk of my car. The funny thing is that whoever threw it away took off the main power plug... They threw away a piece of history with a sound that you simply can't get today but bothered to keep a 30 cent plastic plug...
I've put a new power plug, plugged it in and... it works like a charm. The amp was never opened for repair in 34 years. The screws have no marks, no techinicians warranty stickers... amazing.
One of my friends that is currently using a cheap "Kenwood" amp is about to recieve a very nice gift tomorrow...
I just can't understand these people.
In the last 10 years or so, i got hold of the following in similar ways:
1. Harman Kardon 430 twin powered reciever (early 1970's)
2. Luxman R 1040 stereo reciever (NOS in the box, 1974, for 50$).
3. Sony ST-80 Tuner (late 1960's) - needed minor repair
4. Sony TAN 8550 VFET power amp (1974, outrageously expensive at it's time) - in it's original box
5. Leak mono block 7 watt tube amplifier pair (just needed new tubes and fix a broken wire)
6. Bose 301 speakers (early 1970's) that needed new woofer surrounds and new capcitors for the cross over.
7. Sony walkman Pro (late 1980's).
8. Nakamichi CR-5 cassette deck (needed a minor repair).

All except a few (guess which ones) which i just couldn't give away were serviced and given to my friends to their great joy.
Keep throwing these away people!
just let me know in time where can I pick it up...

No comments: